Friday, August 20, 2010

The Ingénieur


This is my new title - Alice Kong, P.Eng - the Professional Engineer. You probably would say, "What's the big deal". Seriously, not so big deal. It's not like hitting the multi million dollars jackpot, THAT would for sure change my life. Having a new designation didn't change my life. Well it might, but not at the present. But I have to admit I do feel good about being a licensed Engineer **grin** Got my license - now what or what's next?

Before I got the stamp, me and Vivian often joked about what we'd do when we got our stamp, we would stamp it all over the place and have fun with it (which we weren't supposed to, under the PEO regulation, it is illegal to misuse the seal) cos we know we hardly use our seal (in our current position).

I got my professional Engineer designation in May. The stamp didn't arrive until late June. And the certificate ceremony is in September. The process of becoming a licensed engineer in Ontario is rather lengthy. You need to meet all the requirements set out by the Professional Engineer Ontario (PEO). For local graduates, the process is rather simple. All they need is to gain 48 months of work experiences and pass the Code of Ethic exam. On top of that, the oversea graduates first need to prepared the courses description for the PEO to evaluate and then decide what other exams the applicant needs to do.

Canada recently agreed to participate in the Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation (APEC) Engineer Register, along with the United States, Australia, New Zealand, Malaysia, Hong Kong, Indonesia, the Philippines, Japan, and Korea. This means I can work in France as "Ingénieur Diplomé". Or, go back to Malaysia (not a chance) as " Ingénieur" (Ir.), always wonder why engineer in Malaysia using that title. Shouldn't it be "Ja." (first and last letters of jurutera) instead of copy other people title…

I looked up wikipedia one day and found out the word "engineer" is derived from the Latin root 'ingenium', meaning "cleaverness". Wow, that is something. I felt like I'm wearing a BIG HAT. Part of being a professional is being accountable to your profession and taking personal responsibility for work.

The Iron Ring is a ring worn on your pinky of your working hand. It's a symbol and reminder of the obligations and ethics associated with the profession. I got my ring in 2003 in a ceremony known as "The Ritual of the Calling of an Engineer" in University of Toronto. It's not a fancy ring, it made from stainless steel or wrought iron. I chose the stainless steel one. I was given the ring during the ceremony, it was a solemn ceremony where everyone swore to obey your obligation while holding a rusty and heavy long chain. This ceremony was a tradition dating back in 1922. Until today, many (including me) believe, incorrectly, that the original iron rings were made from the iron found in the rubble from the collapse of the Québec Bridge, happen during construction in 1907 killing 75 construction workers, due to poor planning and design by the overseeing engineers.

Some people chose not to wear the ring, or they lost it, too small to wear, to cheap to get a replacement... It's not a mandatory for engineering graduate to have the ring. It was suggested the engineer to return the ring when they retired or death or no longer practice the profession.
Let's hold your glass up high and cheer for the ENGINEER!!! **whoo-hoooo**





P/S: if anyone of you confused with my last name? Well, Kong is my married name and now my legal last name. I still use Liew, in my office, my email, my business card... why? that has been my last name all my life.

0 comments:

Post a Comment